Week At A Glance November 8 – 23
Welcome back! While you were away, the winter elves (Gr4 parent volunteers) were busy at work decorating and beautifying the entranceway and passages at the Grade School, much to the delight of students as they entered this morning. The whispers of conversations I’ve overheard from the children have all revolved around Children’s Winter Fair excitement as they look forward to this coming Saturday!
Now is the time to confirm your commitments and/or find where you are going to volunteer this weekend. In addition to Class Assignments, for parents from Kindergarten to Grade 12, there are a handful of other places to help out, in particular, we are looking for bundles of greenery to cover the columns of the belltower, as well as to use for the Advent Spirals in both the Grade School and Early Childhood Centre; baked items for Strings Cafe and cookies for the Cookie House; one keen individual to help with the Night Market to ensure the evening runs smoothly; and general help with set up before and clean up after the Fair.
Continue reading to the end to get an overview of where Fair activity planning is at the moment.
TUESDAY – November 19
- Grade 7 Parent Evening 7:00 pm GS
WEDNESDAY – November 20
- Grade 2 Parent Evening 6:30 pm GS
THURSDAY – November 21
- Full Faculty & Staff 3:15 pm GS
- Grade 6 Parent Evening 7:00 pm GS
FRIDAY – November 22
- Grade School Early Dismissal 12:20 pm, GS
- Winter Fair Set-Up Begins 1:30 GS
- Waldorf Night Market 6:30 pm
SATURDAY – November 23
- Children’s Winter Fair 10:00 am, GS
- Grade School – there is an early dismissal on Friday, November 22 at 12:20 pm.
- High School – all students will be dismissed from the Grade School at 3:15 pm. Several students have signed up for their volunteer hours on Friday afternoon between 3:00 and 5:00, rather than taking a shift on Saturday. Please check with your teenager if they have committed to staying later.
- Early Childhood Centre – the is no Aftercare scheduled for Friday afternoon as the Classrooms will be in use while we set up.
FACEBOOK & HANDBILLS
- Handbills are available at the Grade School across from Reception. Please pick some up and distribute all across town!
- The events are on Facebook, invite your circle of friends and family to join in the fun!
Night Market https://www.facebook.com/events/1273270579532296/
Children’s Winter Fair https://www.facebook.com/events/755942781530885/
- The class assignments and additional volunteer opportunities can be found here https://signup.com/Group/1370279003523340107/. Please make sure that you’ve filled at least one spot.
- We are on the lookout for boughs of cedar or fir for decorating the grounds. If you are trimming hedges or have some fallen branches, please bring them in and drop off at the front of the Grade School. Please connect with Mary (firstname.lastname@example.org) or me (email@example.com) if you think you can help.
- Our Strings Cafe warmly invites you and your children to sign up for a performance time slot. To be included in the program, please sign up outside of the Music Room at the Grade School. Feel free to contact me if you would like me to add your name.
- High School students have all signed up for their volunteer hours. Please help ensure that they arrive at their shift on time.
- Some students in Grades 6 – 8 may want to get involved and are welcome to sign up to help, please check to see if they are keen and help them to choose an appropriate assignment.
- Oodles of pre-strung and decorated cookies for the Cookie House and sweet or savoury goodies & snacks for the Strings Cafe.
RED DOOR STORE
- Our sweet little store is not assigned to any one particular class, however, it is busy and requires volunteers. If you are looking for a different way to be involved, there are still a few spots open.
SET UP / TAKEDOWN CREW
- Volunteers are needed to assist with a variety of set-up tasks on Friday afternoon. Volunteering on the set-up crew is a really good way for parents and guardians new to the school to get involved with the broader school community. It’s a relatively low commitment of time and you’re guaranteed to feel more connected to the School and the Fair. Tasks may include helping to direct High School student volunteers, setting up the Hall for the Vendor Village Marketplace, helping to distribute rental items, and general last-minute beautifying & tidying.
- At the end of the Fair, we are looking for half a dozen people to help ready the school for classes to resume on Monday. Tasks may include sweeping floors, washing dishes, bringing items to the front of the school for pick up from the rental company, and taking down some of the decorations, etc.
- On Friday evening, our wonderful and talented Marketplace vendors will be open and ready for business from 6:30 – 9:00 pm. The coordinator role is intended for a creative soul who has the vision to deliver a warm and inviting atmosphere include refreshments and possibly some entertainment. Please speak to Mary or me to find out more about where we are regarding Night Market plans.
Have an amazing week and thank you so much for all that you do! I can’t wait for the weekend!
Communications & Events Coordinator
Vancouver Waldorf School
604-985-7435 ext 202
You are receiving this email because you are a family, faculty or staff member at the Vancouver Waldorf School.
The Vancouver Waldorf School is situated on the unceded ancestral territory of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw) and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) Nations.